Elisa Viihde - English review

Keskustelu osiossa 'Elisa Viihde' , aloittajana pmcguire, 04.07.2009.

1. pmcguire

pmcguire New Member

Saadut tykkäykset:
    I don't want to attach this to the other thread below because I don't want to have a mish mash of languages, I know most of you guys speak better English than I do :)

So I just thought I would give a quick rundown of the Elisa Viihde service from my perspective.

Firstly the good..

TV channel changes work surprisingly well, around 1 or 2 seconds to change and the channel broadcast quality is very good.

There are more audio and subtitle options on the IPTV network than DVB-T for example the Disney Channel has audio tracks in English, Swedish and Finnish on DVB-T you get what you are given.

Now the bad...

The Netgem box provided is full of bugs, really silly bugs too...

You can configure the default broadcast language to be Finnish, Swedish or DUTCH!! Well that will come in handy, although I think that might be something to do with YLE.
    Therefore because of this feature you can't set the default language of the disney channel to be English and you have to go to the information menu everytime you want to change it.

Now sticking with languages, the box has 2 menu language options (Finnish and English UK) obviously I chose English and then discovered that the EPG from the IPTV channels only comes if the box language is set to Finnish :OI
    Changing the language to Finnish presents me with a full EPG.

Finally regarding the Netgem box, I can't find a way to organise channel lists, I would like to group certain channels together as they are all over the place right now, so at least I can disable the channels that I haven't paid for in the menu. Nice and easy, the IPTV channels that I haven't paid for are vanished from the menu making it much easier to navigate, until you restart the box, then the bloody things come back :OI

Oh and really finally not being able to record IPTV was a well kept dirty little secret, when I ordered the box and asked is there anything I should know I really should have pushed him more on that.

Those are my main annoyances with the netgem box, I have typed way to much and nobody will probably read this anyway:p therefore I will just touch on the ADSL modem.

No MAC filtering :mad:
    Maximum of 3 ports forwarded :mad:

2. Fakiiri

Fakiiri Active Member

Saadut tykkäykset:
    Yes, YLE has sometimes a "dutch" audio track for those who cannot see very well, i.e. can't read the subtitles. It is actually a computer generated voice reading those subtitles.

3. unreal

unreal Active Member

Saadut tykkäykset:
    Unfortunately, speaking of bugs, I have to say you have probably only just found the most obvious ones. I have the Saunavisio box (the same box with the older Saunalahti package) and there is plenty of other irritating flaws that really make you wonder if they have tested the device at all before releasing it.

First of all, our box is not used very often so it mostly stays in standby and almost every time I start to use the box, it goes to a state where info banner, volume graphics etc. are not automatically disappearing anymore and you have to pull off the cord to make it work again. Also, the "media player" (not sure what it is called in English menus, but the player that can play media files from the home network, USB etc.) sometimes starts to work very slowly, once again the only thing you can do is to pull off the cord. Sometimes the HDMI handshake somehow fails when you turn on the box and there is no audio at all: you need to reboot to get the audio (this can of course be TV issue as well, but I doubt it). Also, the volume control for HDMI sometimes stops working even when you have changed the menu setting to control "all outputs". Not surprisingly, you need to pull off the cord to make it work again...

As I said, our box is not used very much and I rarely use the recording functions (I got the box as part of the ADSL subscription, so I'm not really paying for it either), but even now I'm pretty fed up with the quality of the box. I could not think of using the box as a primary box to watch TV daily, just too full of defects and bugs for me.

4. srout

srout Member

Saadut tykkäykset:
    After a month af useing none of the above mentioned problems. I use it daily, recording everyday something and so far no problems.

Their web-page does state that "pay-channels" can't be recorded, in finnish. And as far as the language stuff, I really can't consider it a flaw of the machine that it works best with the options set in finnish language, being in Finland!

5. pierrot

pierrot New Member

Saadut tykkäykset:
    Stupid question from a (non-Finnish speaking to make things worse) noob: how can I use IPTV with the Elisa Viihde Digibox?
    It finds the normal TV over the aerial, but where are the IPTV channels/funtions hidden? :hitme:

6. hkj

hkj Avatar Tukijoukot

Saadut tykkäykset:
    You need to connect it with ethernet cable to the internet.

7. pierrot

pierrot New Member

Saadut tykkäykset:
    :D Yes, this is done. It is connected to my elisa router and should work (it has an IP address). But how can I find/set the IPTV channels in my digibox?

Kiitos

8. hkj

hkj Avatar Tukijoukot

Saadut tykkäykset:
    Can you record your chosen TV-programs to the Elisa Viihde server and watch them from there (timer on EPG or by Elisa Viihde web-page)?

You need to choose which IPTV channels you want from here.

http://elisaviihde.fi/etvrecorder/

There is also really short quick guide for the Elisa Viihde in English.

ADSL:
    http://www.elisa.fi/elisa/docimages/attachment/EL_Viihde_ADSL_pikaopas_ENG_11_09.pdf
    Cable:
    http://www.elisa.fi/elisa/docimages/attachment/EL_Viihde_KAMO_pikaopas_ENG_11_09.pdf

Viimeksi muokattu: 12.03.2010
  9. pierrot

pierrot New Member

Saadut tykkäykset:

Hi hjk,

thank you for that tip. I will have a look at it.
    I somehow managed to get the Maksuttomat lisäkanavat by playing around, but I still can't find the Maksuttomat peruskanavat. Well, I have a whole weekend to find them
    :king:

10. arthur

arthur Active Member

Saadut tykkäykset:
    'maksuttomat peruskanavat' are not send live over IP. IPTV is only for the special channels and the recorded programs.

11. pierrot

pierrot New Member

Saadut tykkäykset:
    aaah, now that explains it.
    I can find the "Maksuttomat lisäkanavat" via IPTV, pay TV tays black (as it should) and the "maksuttomat peruskanavat" which they talk about are only available over DVB-T/-C. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help, it saved me a lot of headache :)

12. arthur

arthur Active Member

Saadut tykkäykset:
    Yes.

edit. Corrected the error (got confused about the terms lisä- vs. peruskanavat)

Viimeksi muokattu: 16.03.2010
  13. pierrot

pierrot New Member

Saadut tykkäykset:
    Hi, I am talking about those channels:
    http://www.elisa.fi/viihde/kanavat/
    The two upper ones Peruskanavat are "Maksuttomat peruskanavat" and "Maksuttomat lisäkanavat".
    The Maksuttomat lisäkanavat clearly show IPTV (not DVB-T) in the lower right corner when I switch to them. So I guessed they are indeed IPTV (via the DSL).
    The "Maksuttomat peruskanavat" are only via DVB-T/-C if I understood it right as I can't find them via IPTV.

14. mjk

mjk New Member

Saadut tykkäykset:
    "Maksuttomat lisäkanavat" are IPTV channels in case of Elisa Viihde ADSL, in case of Elisa Viihde Cable they are not IPTV channels but just ordinary cable TV channels.

"Maksuttomat peruskanavat" are always ordinary TV channels either from aerial or cable.

Additional channels, are following the same logic with "Maksuttomat lisäkanavat" - in ADSL IPTV and in cable they are ordinary cable TV channels.